Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What to do?....OR should I say WWJD?

Lately, Daddy Toast and myself have been discussing our religious beliefs and what they mean to both of us. I use the term lately very loosely because really it's been a discussion that has been up in the air since we found out French Toast was on the way. ANNNNND being the morally responsible parents that we both are (again a term used VERY loosely), we are actually considering finding a church we both can at least stand. We both feel compelled to have a relationship with a higher power(whomever/whatever that may be) and we both want French Toast to have SOME sort of religious upbringing. However, we are sort of hitting a religious bump in the road. Let's just call it a "holy divide."

Seeeeeee, I was raised Catholic. I could have been the poster child for what a good Catholic girl should have looked like. Remember this poster?

Of course you do. Who doesn't, right? Well, put her in a blue plaid jumper, penny loafers, hair perfectly braided, and change the tag line to "I pink puffy heart Jesus" and that was me. I attended a private Catholic elementary school complete with nuns that used rulers as weapons, religion class was a core subject, and mass was required twice a week. In my teenage years, instead of going to field parties and drinking warm cheap beer, I went on youth group trips to Colorado. Oh but friends don't let that fool you. I still teased those youth group boys in TRUE Catholic school girl fashion. One in particular, who shall remain nameless:) ANYWAY, my point is this....Catholicism has been shoved down my throat since birth.

Daddy Toast is a different story. He'll tell you that he grew up Methodist. Then he'll tell you that his family has been in and out of the Catholic church. Then he'll tell you, "Well, I believe in like the water, wind, earth, multiple spirit guides and blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc." I seriously picture him with hair down to his ass and a tye-dyed shirt on when he tells me that. Daddy Toast, would you like some granola? And believe it or not, the man has been "baptized" in every religion. This, of course, happened during his high school years when he did the religious version of "homie hopping". He would date a girl, go to her church, get "baptized", then he would break up with said girl and her church.....Rinse, Lather, Repeat. To his credit though, at least he has had the opportunity to experience what other religions have to offer and now knows what he DOESN'T want.



But can you see my dilemma?



We have not taken this lightly. We have gone to a Catholic church and weeeeeelllllll..... let's just say that Daddy Toast didn't enjoy the spiritual aerobics that were involved. We were married in a Methodist church but I was a little turned off because the pastor talked about erotic love in a very creeper sort of fashion during the ceremony. I mean, really?!?!....Who does that?!?!?......Recently, we have EVEN contemplated going to a local church that most refer to as a "cult" but I think it's all the hip thrusting and and off key singing that puts people off. Who knows? The whole thing gives me a migraine the size of Texas.


Until I opened my e-mail the other day......

Right at the top of my junk e-mail list was a message from this website. In said e-mail was the religious quote of the day. Wanna know what it said?




It does not take a perfect church to introduce a man to the perfect Christ.
-Richard Woodsome



Let me tell ya friends. I felt like the clouds had parted, in a deep voice God spoke to me, angels rejoiced and I HAD BEEN SAVED!!!


..............Okay, so maybe I'm being a little dramatic but I did have an "aha" moment.

I finally realized that it doesn't really matter what church the Toast family goes to. Eventually, we will find one that suits both myself and Daddy Toast. Until then, we just need to build our own relationship with the big guy upstairs.



and who knows......




MAYBE someday I'll feel compelled to wear a tye-dyed shirt and eat granola:)

No comments:

Post a Comment